Talk:IRC chats with Toys For Bob
Am I missing a meaning of the word "protocol" here?
wasnt a certain chris present at the 2003 tfb chat? dont know his full name, so i'll not add him to the list myself
I must have missed the explanation of TFB. Could someone point it out? —126.96.36.199 01:21, 5 September 2006 (CEST)
 Title change
Anyone objects to changing the title to "IRC chats with Toys for Bob"? "Chat protocols" sounds weird. Plus, I don't like abbreviations in titles. Valaggar 17:16, 16 June 2007 (CEST)
- Umm, isn't IRC an abbreviation? And "IRC" (internet relay chat) and the redundant "chats" in the title are a classic redundancy ;). But seriously, I can't say which is better - I'm not online-culture savvy enough to know the correct/usual way to refer to these type of things. --Fyzixfighter 19:16, 16 June 2007 (CEST)
- I'm not really that sure if "IRC chats" is that redundant. "Internet relay chats" sounds forced, and "IRCs" or even "IRC" doesn't convey the same meaning ("IRC with Toys for Bob"). It's not like "LCD display".
- And IRC is an abbreviation, yes, but it's different, since it's the official name (like in "laser"), not just a name simplification - or I think so.
- Plus, look at the two sections above to see some people's problems with "TFB" and "protocols". Valaggar 20:06, 16 June 2007 (CEST)
- Ah, another one of my pet peeves - "LCD display";) - however LED display is alright. How about "IRC transcripts with Toys for Bob" or "IRC communications with Toys for Bob" or "IRC events..."? Honestly I don't mind the IRC in the title - I think what you're getting at is that it's an acronym that has passed into the vernacular such that most people know what it is but don't know exactly what the letters stands for, whereas TFB is less well know - which assessment I agree with. "Laser" isn't the greatest comparison as it has been around so long that we don't capitalize any of the letters (like "scuba"), and we've even made it into a verb ("to lase" or "lasing") - I could go on about "laser" (happens when you've worked on them for a few years), but I think I'll quit before I get too far afield the original topic. --Fyzixfighter 20:54, 16 June 2007 (CEST)
- Also, about the redundancy of "IRC chat" - forgot to mention - actually "chat" in "IRC" refers to "chatting" in general, while the second "chat" means a singular "chat" (the Orz race in general, and a singular *finger*). So "IRC" is the means of communications, like "telephone" and the second "chat" is referring to a singular use of this means of communication (like in "telephone chat"). Valaggar 21:35, 16 June 2007 (CEST)
 Question list
Would anyone object if I dove into the chat protocols and created a wiki page which would just list all the questions and the TFB's answers to them, for easy reading? JudgeDeadd 07:34, 18 April 2010 (UTC)
I see no reason why all that text shouldn't be put on this page as well as linked to . . . is there a reason? About the broken link to the 1998 chatlog, I'll ask the PNF team if they still have that and where. A lot of stuff hasn't been sorted since the move to the new server. --Zeracles 09:20, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
- No reason, really, I could put it on this page as well. I was mainly asking about whether it would be considered useful if I made such a practical list. JudgeDeadd 16:47, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
- I've uploaded the 1998 chat log to uqm.stack.nl and pointed the link to there. — SvdB 21:11, 21 April 2010 (UTC)