Looks nice. Would it be possible to make a "cut" in a timeline? In the "Ancient galactic history" nothing interesting happens in a long time, and that space could be better used. — SvdB 12:39, 9 July 2006 (CEST)
- Thanks. Afaik, there isn't a way to make a "cut". It certainly would be nice in that and a few other timelines that I've thought about doing. There might be a way to nearly do it, by doing two separate timelines and putting them nearly on top of one another, but I'm not sure how that would look or work. Or I could manually add in the years and a cut on the timescale, a bit of work but probably the most aesthetically pleasing way to do it. I'm also curious how the "Ancient galactic history" would look vertically.
- Just to throw it out there, these are the timelines that I'm considering/working on:
- Ancient galactic history
- Ur-Quan conflict
- Human specific history - might change this to a vertical timeline
- Prelude to the conflict/recent galactic history - The few ET events prior to the conflict, possibly going back several thousand years.
- Granted that last one is maybe going a little overboard, but I've got a new hammer and everything looks like a nail. --Fyzixfighter 19:21, 9 July 2006 (CEST)
- OK, I was able to do something that kind of added in a cut. The only problem was that I couldn't find a way to get rid of the automated numbers along the horizontal time axis, hence the ugly black line across the bottom. I also wasn't able to figure out a way to show the cut on the time axis itself, but I'm still playing with it. --Fyzixfighter 08:57, 10 July 2006 (CEST)
The "Human history" graph doesn't fit on my screen. My screen is set to 1152x864, but imho we should strive to fit any page in 1024x768 without horizontal scroll bars. — SvdB 01:52, 12 July 2006 (CEST)
- I completely agree. I've been using the 1024x768 (my screen size) as a guideline, hence the "Ur-quan conflict (2)" timeline (though I had to drop some early events). As for "Human history", I'm currently putting together a vertical timeline - the only downsides being it might be too big vertically and I personally don't like the look of vertical timelines. Any opinions on vertical timelines? --Fyzixfighter 02:07, 12 July 2006 (CEST)
- I don't like the way the vertical timeline looks myself either. But a vertical timeline with only coloured bars, and the actual text next to the timeline might work.
- — SvdB 13:57, 12 July 2006 (CEST)
- I think I get what you're saying. I've updated it to make it much simpler and more organized. The other alternative in my mind is to take the seven unique human events (2115-2155) and put those into the Ur-Quan conflict timeline, which may or may not overly clutter that timeline. Then take the pre-conflict events, both human and alien, and include those on a separate "Prelude to conflict" timeline. But again, it becomes a question of if such a timeline would be useful/interesting or not - something which must be considered for all these timelines. --Fyzixfighter 19:07, 12 July 2006 (CEST)