Talk:Star Control Music
To those contributing to this page:
- Please try to avoid linking to pages where you need to have an account to download. If you want (and the copyright holder of the track doesn't mind), I can put a remix up on uqm.stack.nl.
- Try to keep this order: PC original, 3DO version, Precursors remix, other remixes
- When both .ogg and .mp3 formats are available, either link to the .ogg version, or to both formats. The .ogg format is the only one that can be used in the game.
- This is a "random-access" page, meaning that people aren't expected to read it from top to bottom. So multiple links to the same page, in different sections is ok.
- Make the subsection names all different, so do "HyperSpace Precursor Remix" instead of "Precursor Remix". While the "HyperSpace" is clear from the context (the section where the subsection is in), it would prevent linking to individual subsections.
-- SvdB 18:51, 23 Nov 2004 (CET)
Should titles or descriptions be used for subheadings? The distinction is between Hyperspace Precursors Remix and Hyperspace - Across the Galaxy.
Also, what about for alternate/fan made-remixes such as the Hyperspace Electro Blast remix? -Fadookie 06:54, 8 Dec 2004 (CET)
- I think descriptions for the subheadings are better. Remixes often don't even have a separate title. In the body of the section it could be mentioned by name then.
- As for other remixes, I'm all for it. I'd just like the original(s) and the Precursors remix to come first (see above).
- -- SvdB 01:37, 9 Dec 2004 (CET)
- Seems reasonable to me, since the Precursors remixes are more or less official. -Fadookie 06:47, 9 Dec 2004 (CET)
Corrected. The following files are available in the same dir:
— SvdB 02:01, 4 Oct 2005 (CEST)
Note that on external links, when you're setting the display name, both a " " and a "|" will work equally well. So don't worry about "repairing" links, either way. --Gaeamil 03:54, 20 April 2007 (CEST)
If it was only bad links, it would be a minute tops to go over all the bad ones - but with the broken formats and unsupported formats in a vanilla fresh windows installation with the latest media player, it takes 10 minutes to go thru them (assuming you know when to give up on broken files and unsupported formats).
Surely we can have it nice and tidy in mp3 format??
- About the missing mp3 links, I guess one of us will edit those in soon. About converting mods to mp3s, maybe it would be better to put links to players which can take mods. For example, I use DeliPlayer 2 (actually, I use it for everything).
- Hmm, the precursors have been awfully quiet, they must have something special planned for the yehat. --Zeracles 17:15, 5 February 2008 (CET)
- Aaaaaand five years later the mp3 links are added. But I do note the above reason for inclusion of .ogg (only format that can be included in the game). I would have done that too but don't know where to get the URLs for them (other than guessing them all and downloading them to check, which I don't really want to do). Hoping to add non-Precursors remixes too. --Zeracles (talk) 10:10, 9 June 2013 (CEST)
I came here looking for the original shofixti and orz music, seeing how it's mangled with hip-hop and bad vocals on the precursor pages. I want the pre-hiphop + vocal versions. I hope i can find an archive somewhere...
P.S.: I intend to email the *mp3* versions to a few friends who aren't technically savvy enough to install a new player. I shouldn't have to perform 20 hours of file conversions, internet archive digging, player configuring, and alternate song version hunting to do that all over again (and fail like the first time, probably)... i managed to install no less than 4 players who claim they can play ogg or MOD, before finding out the song is an alternate version of much lower artistic merit this is hell. It shouldn't have to be this hard!
- Well, one of the reasons we provide the MOD format is because that was how the original SC2 was done. We try to do the same thing with images - provide the original, raw format and let people edit/change format/post-process however they like. That said, looking at the Shofixti music, the MOD format linked to here is the correct, original one and the link is good. I'd recommend downloading the file, saving it to your computer, and then using a file converter to get it into mp3 format. If you don't have a file converter, a quick search of the web will probably turn up a useful, freeware one - I just did a quick search and found an online site (media-convert dot com) that does it free, and did it in less than two minutes (you only have to endure the annoying ads all over the site while it does this). Cheers. --Fyzixfighter 16:08, 8 February 2008 (CET)
Reorganization of page
Given some of the comments above and some of my own musings, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to reorganize the page so that the breakdown is by version first (original PC, Precursor remixes, Other remixes) and then by race. One of the reasons I lean towards this kind of format is that it's more akin to how I organize the music in my mind: I've got the original vinyl album with the PC mods, then the CD with the Precursor remixes, then everything else - I don't really think about it first in terms of the races. Of course, I could be totally at odds to how everyone else thinks about this. This format would also allow us to explain what (and why) each set is in a certain format, and provide directions on media players for the unique ones. Thoughts? Yea or nay? --Fyzixfighter 18:17, 8 February 2008 (CET)
I agree with version first, then internally divided the way it is now (race-activity-ditty). That's how I organise them myself. Another possibility (which could be included alongside the above) is a user-sortable table. --Zeracles 19:23, 8 February 2008 (CET)