Difference between revisions of "Talk:Ur-Quan Slave War"
(→Source of term: sounds good)
Revision as of 05:56, 25 September 2006
I'd like to recommend that someone flesh out the list of SC1 campaigns with more information than the one-sentence blurbs, and move that to a separate section.
- Might be a good idea. As I recall, I just copied the one-sentence blurb from the game.
- -Fadookie 21:16, 11 Dec 2005 (CET)
Source of term
Where does this term "First War" come from? I can find no references. And likewise "Second War"; the events in SC2 aren't even a real war as the first one. The only names I could find are "Ur-Quan slave war" and "Crucible of Sentience", from the sc2 manual, and the Yehat talk about the "Great War [against the Mycons]", which probably refers to the same war, as the rebels use the same term when talking about VUX tactics. The captain also talks about "the War" (with a capital W). — SvdB 08:03, 16 September 2006 (CEST)
- ZEX also refers to it as the "Great War". Likewise, Talana and Hayes also say "the War" with a capital W. The only other canon name that I can find is "Ur-Quan Conflict" from the sc1 title screen. I wonder if the terms come from something in sc3? --Fyzixfighter 09:58, 16 September 2006 (CEST)
- I'd be for renaming this as the Ur-Quan Conflict or Ur-Quan Slave War as those are the two names that have the most support from the canon; listing "War", "Great War", and "Great Crucible of Sentience" as other names used by those involved; and relegating the terms "First War" and "First War of the Alliance" to colloquial names for the war. It would also be nice to go through and remove all the first war references in other articles to be more in line with this nomenclature. I'm in the process of reinstalling and replaying sc3 (aka Excruciator) to see if they use those terms there, but I doubt it. --Fyzixfighter 03:06, 24 September 2006 (CEST)
- "Ur-Quan Conflict" would be too confusing, considering the Doctrinal Conflict, so I'm for "Ur-Quan Slave War" as the page title and having "Great War", "Crucible of Sentience" and "Great Crucible of Sentience" as redirects. If "First War" and "First War of the Alliance" really have no basis in canon, then they shouldn't even be redirects imho, considering that even colloquially among fans I haven't seen them used.
- I wouldn't replay SC3 for this, as if "First War" didn't come from any of the canon stuff, it really doesn't matter where it *did* come from. — 2001:610:1108:5214::3 04:01, 24 September 2006 (CEST)
- Sounds good to me. I'll try and make the changes in a minute. My only concern would be that "Ur-Quan Conflict" still be included as an alternate name - if we need a short clause to say that doesn't refer to the Doctrinal conflict then so be it, but it is a canon name. Any suggestion on a different name for "Second War"? It's not a war in the true sense of the word, more of a guerilla-type resistance with a suicide mission climax. --Fyzixfighter 07:54, 25 September 2006 (CEST)