This page is currently incomplete. We encourage you to edit and expand it.
The purpose of this article is to clarify which events are mandatory and which are optional. Some articles in Ultronomicon assume the best-case scenario with the player completing all quests and events in the best way, but there is some discussion that this is not the ideal way to cover the events of Star Control II.
You can document mandatory events without restriction, but try and point out that optional events might not happen. There are a few ways you can do this:
- Create a new heading titled "Optional events". Document all the mandatory events before this section and all the optional events in this section.
- Use a cause-and-effect structure of sentencing to clarify that certain events only occur if the protagonist completes a certain game event. In a completely fictional example, "Mars is the home of ultra-powerful psionic beings.
This page is still very much a work in progress. Please feel free to add or modify what you see here. If you disagree with any of the following points, please add "(disputed, see talk)" and bring it up in the talk page.
These events will occur if the player successfully completes the game. Each child event represents events that must occur in order for the parent event to occur. Historical events are all considered mandatory, as are any of the events mentioned at the end of the game (except for the "blooper reel", of course).
Needed to finish the game
Destroy the Sa-Matra
- Do away with the Sa-Matra's guards
- Install the amplified Utwig Bomb onto The Flagship
- Meet and ally with the Chmmr
- Remove the Ilwrath from Procyon
- Speed up the Chmmr synthesis
- Obtain the Utwig Bomb
- Fight against five Druuge Maulers at Zeta Hyades VI-B.
- Meet and ally with the Chmmr
Assumed as mandatory
These events are assumed, either because the game would be nearly impossible to complete without them1, or simply because it "makes sense" in the game. Each child event represents events that must occur in order for the parent event to occur.
- Meet the Ur-Quan drone1
- Convince Commander Hayes to ally with The Captain1
- Slylandro Probes run rampant throughout the galaxy (Note: Meeting the Slylandro is not considered mandatory)
- The Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah don't end up cleansing any other races, although they are winning the Second Doctrinal Conflict.
Mandatory Alliance membership
The following races will be part of the New Alliance of Free Stars if the player successfully completes the game.
Optional events (explicit)
While anything not mentioned above should be considered optional, the following list contains events that are explicitly optional. The main purpose of this list is to clarify events that might be considered mandatory, but are actually optional.
- The Ilwrath and the Thraddash do not necessarily wipe each other out.
- It can be assumed that The Captain destroys the Sa-Matra before the Ilwrath and Thraddash wipe each other out.
- Since the remaining Chmmr and allied fleets manage to defeat the remaining Dreadnought and Marauder fleets, it can also be assumed that they can defeat or control the remaining battle thralls as well—including the Ilwrath and the Thraddash.
- The Captain doesn't necessarily meet Captain Fwiffo, and Fwiffo doesn't necessarily join The Captain's fleet.
- It is possible to goad Fwiffo into fighting by selecting "You attacked our lander -- killed our crew! Prepare to die.", an option immediately available when The Captain first talks to Fwiffo.
- The Captain doesn't necessarily meet with the Slylandro to stop their Probes
- This probably doesn't require much of an explanation. Beyond their friendship and some interesting background information (especially about their glowy bits), the Slylandro gasbags provide nothing towards the final goal of destroying the Sa-Matra.
- Allying with the Zoq-Fot-Pik and subsequently saving them.
- Acquiring a Portal Spawner
- Recover the Ur-Quan Warp Pod from Alpha Pavonis VII
- Give the Ur-Quan Warp Pod to the Arilou
Optional Alliance membership
The following races will only be a part of the New Alliance of Free Stars through player actions. Any races not mentioned here or in the mandatory Alliance section above will not join the Alliance regardless of player actions. Where mentioned, parent actions only occur if the child actions also occur.
Official members of the Alliance who send ship designs and starship captains to the Earth Starbase
- if The Captain restores the Shofixti race
- if The Captain defeats at least 21 Torches in combat.
- if The Captain incites the Yehat Rebellion
- after the conclusion of the Yehat Rebellion
These races provide assistance, but are never official members of the Alliance (but only through player actions)