References to Star Control in other works
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 09:44, 16 February 2008 by Valaggar (Iranian propaganda mural, see also [http://uqm.stack.nl/forum/index.php?topic=4006.0])
This page is a stub. We encourage you to edit and improve it.
This page is currently incomplete. We encourage you to edit and expand it.
Star Control II is referenced on multiple occasions in later works:
- There exists a weapon named Wimbli's Trident in Toys for Bob's game The Horde.
- In the Dark Avatar expansion to Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords, the Drengin race has split into two factions/subraces: the genocidal Korath (a clear reference to the name Kohr-Ah), which desire the annihilation of all non-Drengin sentience, and the Krynn, which plead for the use of other races as slaves. This situation is extremely reminiscent of the one existing between the two Ur-Quan subraces.
- The developers of Galactic Civilizations II have also confessed to have drawn their inspiration for the Dread Lords and Arnor races from the Precursors of Star Control II. 
- Terran Battlecruisers in the game StarCraft look very similar to an Ur-Quan Dreadnought, possessing the "Yamato Gun" ability which closely resembles the Dreadnought's Fusion Blaster. 
- It is believed by some (including Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III) that Babylon 5 borrowed some elements from the Star Control Universe.1
- The creators of Strange Adventures in Infinite Space and its sequel, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, have confided that they drew their inspiration for the game from Star Control II.
- An anti-American/anti-Israeli propaganda mural in the former US embassy in Tehran seems inspired by the cover art for Star Control.
- See also: Influences and References
Notes and references
- 1From the 1998 IRC chat with Toys for Bob (Fwiffo is both Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III here):
- <Manta> Fwiffo: Has anyone ever brought up parallels between Babylon 5 and Star Control?
- <Fwiffo> Babylon 5 causes a certain amount of stomping around the office screaming.
- <Fwiffo> Babylon 5 steals from us. We steal from known space.