Kzer-Za • Kohr-Ah
Second Doctrinal War
|Kzer-Za • Kohr-Ah|
|Path of Now and Forever|
Ur-Quan Hierarchy • Battle Thrall • Fallow Slave • Oath of Fealty Doctrinal Conflict
|Dreadnought • Marauder • Sa-Matra|
|Excruciator • Slave Shield • Talking Pet|
The Hierarchy of Battle Thralls is a system created by the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za to manage their series of conquests that perpetuates the Path of Now and Forever. As the name implies, it is an external expression of the Kzer-Za's philosophical view of the universe, one in which all other races exist for the purpose of protecting the existence of the Ur-Quan species, and are therefore assigned importance in proportion to their value to the Ur-Quan. The Hierarchy as we know it consists of the races in our region of space which, after being conquered by the Kzer-Za, offered to obey Kzer-Za commands and act as Kzer-Za agents to help subdue other species, and thus keep some degree of political autonomy and freedom to travel through space rather than being confined to a slave shield.
It is unknown how this system has operated in past regions conquered by the Kzer-Za. Most speculation assumes that the Hierachy is a construct intended only to allow the Kzer-Za to efficiently subdue a whole region of space, and that their intention is always to eventually slave-shield all species in a given region, though the process of fully subduing such a region may take centuries. Such a proposal seems more likely than the alternative supposition that the Kzer-Za administrate a series of permanent Hierarchies that rule various regions of the galaxy. The congenital Ur-Quan distaste for the dealings of "inferior" species and the small, streamlined size of the Kzer-Za fleet seem to discount this possibility, since it appears that the whole of the Kzer-Za fleet travels through the galaxy in each conquest cycle, and we can find no references to ancient conquests of the Kzer-Za that did not, eventually, end in slave-shielding. The growing instability of our own Hierarchy near the time of the Doctrinal Conflict suggests that, had it not occurred, a phase of slave-shielding of the Battle Thralls might have followed.
Hierarchy Battle Thralls During the First War (Star Control I):
- Mycon - Only known race to voluntarily request Battle Thrall status before having been defeated by the Hierarchy in war
- Thraddash - Did not directly participate in the First War
The Thraddash claim to have been Battle Thralls at the time, told to "guard the rear". They are usually not included in such lists because there is no mention of the Thraddash in Star Control I.
Hierarchy Battle Thralls At The Beginning of the Second War (Star Control II):
- Spathi - Defected to New Alliance of Free Stars, then self-slave-shielded
- Yehat - The only former Alliance member to choose Battle Thrall status, Hierarchy Veep-Zeep government later overthrown by pro-New-Alliance Starship Clan Revolutionaries
- Thraddash - Hierarchy's Culture 19 government overthrown by pro-New-Alliance Culture 20 government
- Umgah - Later conquered by neo-Dnyarri, then defected to New Alliance of Free Stars, then defected to unaligned status